You know that title doesn’t refer to women who subsist on our favorite adult beverage – you get that, right? (Although I admit, it might not be a bad idea…)
We’re talking about women’s thoughts on wine. Unless you’re a recluse with no connection to the outside world, no doubt you’re aware that today is International Women’s Day, when we celebrate the social, cultural, economic and political achievements of the female sex. You knew I couldn’t let the day end without passing along some women-wisdom.
[Photo, “Wine Pasion,” by Gisela Giardino, courtesy of Flickr.com]
But rather than waxing on about our strengths or accomplishments – plenty of people are doing that today – I thought it would be fun to read what women say about wine.
It didn’t take long to discover, women have plenty to say. I found some great quotes – some funny, some sweet – and managed to narrow it down to a “top 10.” But first, my least favorite quote:
“I drink red wine on ice to water it down.” – Diane Keaton, actress
Without further ado, here are my Top 10 favorite wine quotes by (or about) women:
10. “I’m like old wine. They don’t bring me out very often – but I’m well preserved.” – Rose Kennedy, philanthropist and mother of President John F. Kennedy, 1890-1995
9. “One of my most exciting Saturday nights was just me and a bottle of wine and a crochet book.” – Jessica Pare, actress who played Megan Draper on the television show Mad Men
8. “I suffer from CLAUSTROPHOBIA, a fear of closed spaces. For example, I’m petrified that the WINE store will be closed before I have time to get there!” – Tanya Masse, author
7. “Wino Forever.” – actor Johnny Depp’s tattoo that formerly read, “Winona Forever”
6. “What I do and what I dream include thee, as the wine must taste of its own grapes.” – Elizabeth Barrett Browning, poet, 1806-1861
5. “The wine – it made her limbs loose and liquid, made her feel that a hummingbird had taken the place of her heart.” – Jodi Picot, author
4. “The lover drinks as the cup-bearer pours. The lover thinks but the cup-bearer knows: love begets love. Since this wine is love, then this cup is love, then this tavern is love, then this life is love.” – Kaman Kojouri, Iranian author
3. “If you love food and you love red wine and they put you in France, you’re in a good place and you’re in a bad place at the same time. You have to weigh yourself every day, and you have to have an alarm number. When you get to that number, you have to start putting it in reverse.” – Salma Hayak, actress
2. “Independence is a heady draught and if you drink it in your youth, it can have the same effect on the brain as young wine does. It does not matter that its taste is not always appealing. It is addictive and with each drink you want more.” – Maya Angelou, poet, 1928-2014
1. “Wine and women make wise men dote and forsake God’s law and do wrong…However, the fault is not in the wine and often [emphasis mine] not in the woman. Even if you get drunk on the wine and through this greed you lapse into lechery, the wine is not to blame but you are…” – Anonymous, Dives and Pauper, a 15th-century commentary on The Ten Commandments.
Food (or drink) for thought!
Wine Lingo: Since women love to hang together, today’s lingo is hang time = the time from veraison (that moment when grapes start changing color from green to yellow or red) and harvest. The longer the grapes hang, the deeper their richness and complexity, but if they hang for too long they overripen. No bueno.
Vino ‘View: On International Women’s Day, I think we can admit that many (most?) of us are badasses who like the hard stuff now and then. You’ll notice that this bottle of Traverse City XXX Straight Bourbon (86 proof, $34.99 online) is half empty. That’s because I’ve been sipping, yes I have. Produced in northern Michigan by Traverse City Whiskey Co., this bourbon doesn’t bring the corn-sweetness one usually expects from bourbon, though I did get cornbread on the finish, and caramel – again without the sweetness, which is fine with me. It’s aged four years in American white oak, and the wood taste is strong but not smoky. There’s also vanilla, but it’s authentic-Mexican-cooking-vanilla, not vanilla ice cream flavor, and cinnamon. It’s good on its own, maybe with an ice cube, but you won’t feel much burn on the way down.
[The Traverse City XXX Straight Bourbon was sent to BigSexyReds for review.]
Cheers, especially to you women who will speak out and make great choices this year – Brava!